Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Monday, March 06, 2006

Ephesians 5:1-7

3R,s (Relax, Read and Reflect)
Prayer-Lord, Open my heart and open my mind and help me learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen
Ephesians 5:1-7
1Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children 2and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
3But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people. 4Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving. 5For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person—such a man is an idolater—has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.[
a] 6Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God's wrath comes on those who are disobedient. 7Therefore do not be partners with them.
As children imitate their parents, at least the good habits, we should imitate Christ, all of his habits. They are all good. Although God does not expect us to be perfect, we must be aware that some habits will be more destructive to our reflection of Christ than others. Not even a hint of sexual immorality or greed,(lust,) these are improper. The messages we send to people by our actions are greater than the words we say. If we tell people to live in a moral way but do not ourselves, we are confusing people.
Another trap is with our talk. So many of us use profane language so much that we no longer even know that we curse. We tell dirty jokes because we don’t see how that hurts anyone. The names -profane language and cursing- should give us a clue how destructive they are. I like the term Paul uses, foolish talk. These words are truly foolish talk, and will never build up the kingdom. Never think that what you say doesn’t affect the way people think. Remember, someone is always watching. I am not trying to use that as a "big brother"care tactic. I only want to remind each of us that we are examples of Christ, and we don’t get the privilege of deciding when people look at us as Christians and when they look at us as people.
Prayer-Lord, help me be the best example of you that I can. Show your grace and love through me and let others see you. Go-Fight-Win. Amen
Things to do today: Be aware of all your actions. Try your best to make all of your words and acts reflect that you are a Christian. Ask God for help.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home