Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Galatians 2:6-10

Relax, Read and Reflect
Prayer- Lord, Open my heart and open my mind and help me learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.


6As for those who seemed to be important—whatever they were makes no difference to me; God does not judge by external appearance—those men added nothing to my message. 7On the contrary, they saw that I had been entrusted with the task of preaching the gospel to the Gentiles,[
] just as Peter had been to the Jews.[b] 8For God, who was at work in the ministry of Peter as an apostle to the Jews, was also at work in my ministry as an apostle to the Gentiles. 9James, Peter[c] and John, those reputed to be pillars, gave me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship when they recognized the grace given to me. They agreed that we should go to the Gentiles, and they to the Jews. 10All they asked was that we should continue to remember the poor, the very thing I was eager to do.

Paul continues to enforce his acceptance by the apostles. God had chosen these men, (they were ones that walked with Jesus,) so they seemed to be important, inwardly. When Paul says they added nothing in verse 6, he is not putting them down. He is trying to reinforce the validity of his message. If they had nothing to add, they must have seen God had sent Paul to preach to gentiles. They approved, therefore, God approved.
Peter had a lot of success converting the Jews in and around Jerusalem. Now Paul had been given the task to spread the word ro the gentiles. The last verse has a twist in it. When we think of the Jewish people today, we usually think they are fairly well off. People through the years have accused the Jews of controlling the money of the world. Yet, when the apostles sent Paul off to convert gentile, the Jews in Jerusalem were very poor. They asked that as Paul converted the gentiles, ans since they had more money than the Jews, to remember to send some home for the poor.
Actually, the need to care for the poor is a constant theme throughout the New Testament. Do you do enough for the poor? Do you do anything? The world is full of poor, both at home and abroad. What can you do to help?
Prayer- Lord, help me remember that wealth and social status has nothing to do with Your love and grace. Help me to seek the truth always and in everybody. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home