Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Friday, December 15, 2006

1 Timothy 1:18-20

Relax, Read and Reflect.
Prayer- Lord, Open our hearts and open our minds and help us learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.

18Timothy, my son, I give you this instruction in keeping with the prophecies once made about you, so that by following them you may fight the good fight, 19holding on to faith and a good conscience. Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked their faith. 20Among them are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan to be taught not to blaspheme.

What is Paul saying here? When Timothy was ordained by Paul and other leaders, they prophesied that Timothy had great gifts and strengths. This helped to give him strength and keep him going.
Evidently, Paul had to discipline some of the Churches. These other teachers were teaching falsely and "handed over to Satan." Does this mean they were thrown out of God’s love. No, but they were not saved as long as they disobeyed and taught things other than gospel. We do not discipline much in the church today. We are afraid to look hypocritical by getting on others for un-Godly acts.
If we discipline quickly and accurately, the message we send should be that God still desires you, but changes have to be made. Maybe, we should hand people over to Satan more often?
Prayer- Lord, help keep me on the right track so that I can fight the good fight. Go- Fight-Win. Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home