Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Phillippians 2:12-13

Relax, Read and Reflect
Prayer- Lord, Open our hearts and open our minds and help us learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.

Philippians 2:12-13 (New International Version)
Shining as Stars
12Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, 13for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose


Paul tells us here that we need to follow God always. This is how The Message puts it.

Rejoicing Together
12-13What I'm getting at, friends, is that you should simply keep on doing what you've done from the beginning. When I was living among you, you lived in responsive obedience. Now that I'm separated from you, keep it up. Better yet, redouble your efforts. Be energetic in your life of salvation, reverent and sensitive before God. That energy is God's energy, an energy deep within you, God himself willing and working at what will give him the most pleasure.


The is joy in perseverance. That fear and trembling in the first translation, that can be said as humbly with constant dependence on God’s help. Although, being honest, I do like the phrasing "Better yet, redouble your efforts." Just because the preacher is not around, we should still live Godly lives, right? Actually, we need to increase our efforts when we are outside the church buildings. Real energy from real works comes from the world, because that’s where God stays.

Prayer- Lord, Give us the strength and fortitude to increase our works when others are not around, because we know you are always with us. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home