Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Philippians 3:4-6

Relax, Read and Reflect

Prayer- Lord, Open our hearts and open our minds and help us learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.

4though I myself have reasons for such confidence. If anyone else thinks he has reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: 5circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; 6as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for legalistic righteousness, faultless.

This is a continuation from yesterdays lesson. It is not often that a verse picks up in mid sentence, but this one did. Paul is telling the church not to have faith in the flesh. Today he tells them that if anyone had the right to have faith in religious deeds and rank-it was him. Remember, he was a jew’s jew. He had done everything right and was a mover in the Temple at Jerusalem.
Even though he had done everything correctly, it was still by faith that he is saved. Nothing he did compared to what Christ did for us. Sometimes all of us feel the same way. We think we are tearing up the world by doing stuff. The stuff we do, (including this blog,) is just stuff. We do not get to Jesus by our flesh. We get to Jesus by admitting that he did the work and we accept it.


Prayer- Lord, Even though we do great things in Your honor, help us remember daily that a relationship with You only comes through our hearts. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home