Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Friday, March 27, 2009

Philippians 4:15-23

Relax, Read and Reflect

Prayer-Lord, Open our hearts and open our minds and help us learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.

15Moreover, as you Philippians know, in the early days of your acquaintance with the gospel, when I set out from Macedonia, not one church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving, except you only; 16for even when I was in Thessalonica, you sent me aid again and again when I was in need. 17Not that I am looking for a gift, but I am looking for what may be credited to your account. 18I have received full payment and even more; I am amply supplied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent. They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. 19And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.
20To our God and Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen.
Final Greetings
21Greet all the saints in Christ Jesus. The brothers who are with me send greetings. 22All the saints send you greetings, especially those who belong to Caesar's household.
23The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen

Paul ends his message with praise. He praises the church at Philippi. He is quick to remind them how much he loves them and why. They supported him when no one else did, and continue to support him-both emotional and financially. He isn’t looking for payment, his account has been paid in full and more. The thanks he gives is followed by assurance that their generosity will be answered by God.
Remember, Paul is in jail during this time. He hopes to get out, but does not know what his future is. During times of uncertainty we all can become more cautious and withdrawn. We are now facing some real economic issues. Should we stop doing what we have done in the past because of fear of the uncertain future? Or, should we be like Paul, thanking for the gifts of the past and being confident the future has great things for us and out church.


Prayer- Lord, Help us remain confident as a church, even in uncertain times. We know we can do all things through You, because You give us that strength. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home