Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Philippians 4:1-3

Relax, Read and Reflect.

Prayer- Lord, Open our hearts and open our minds and help us learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.

Philippians 4
1Therefore, my brothers, you whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, that is how you should stand firm in the Lord, dear friends!
Exhortations
2I plead with Euodia and I plead with Syntyche to agree with each other in the Lord. 3Yes, and I ask you, loyal yokefellow,[
a] help these women who have contended at my side in the cause of the gospel, along with Clement and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life.

Paul closes his letter with exhortations. He is trying to motivate as he closes. I doing this he gets personal. Two women of the church are sideways, and he pleads with them to start agreeing in the Lord. Do this still happen today?
Unfortunately we as humans tend to disagree about things. I need to repeat that last statement; we disagree about things. We need to be in total agreement about the Lord. When we do get cross with each other, we need to remember we are arguing about things. While it may be important to us what color the carpet is in the sanctuary, God really does not care. Be passionate about the gospel, for the rest be compassionate. That’s the way God wants it.
A sidebar here: Yesterdays devotion I talked about symbols at a children’s sermon.
I need to clarify that the children gave the answer that God carried the flag, not the presenter. The presenter, (a high school sophomore,) skillfully turned the answer to a more appropriate one, soldiers, police, fireman. She was not inferring that God carried the flag. In fact, she did a better job of explaining than I did.
Prayer- Lord, Help us get along. Help us remember that things are not important. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home