Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Friday, February 15, 2008

Matthew 5:21-22

Relax, Read and Reflect.
Prayer- Lord, Open our hearts and open our minds and help us learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
21"You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not murder,[

] and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.' 22But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother[b]will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, 'Raca,[c]' is answerable to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell.
Is Christ adding to the Jewish law?, or is he just giving it his own twist. Actually, he was doing neither. He is giving us an explanation of why God gave us this law to begin with.
Most of us understand that we should not murder. Few of us have the aspirations to be a mafia hitman, so this seems pretty easy. What Jesus is telling us is that we should not get so angry that we would want to kill, and that is totally different. (By the way, Raca is an arabic term of contempt, like SOB.)
Jesus is telling us that if we get so angry that we loose our cool, we are just as guilty as one who commits murder. Ouch! This means I may never go to another basketball game again. Maybe, instead of avoiding things I actually enjoy I should learn to behave in a Christ-like fashion. That is revolutionary!
Prayer- Lord, help us control our anger. Let us look at God’s laws not just what they say, but what that intend. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
Viva Jesus!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home